Friday, February 6, 2009

Procrastination

One of Maya's friends is at our place for a sleepover. It's already 5:09 pm so I need to start thinking about dinner and start setting up the ingredients for the cookies I promised them we'd make. In the meantime, the translation I'm working on is on the verge of being overdue (considering the book is almost 300 pages long and I'm still on page 45 with a deadline of February 15th) and I'm terribly hooked on Tetris Friends on Facebook. Can you spell procrastination? I can. I pronounce it really well too.

Recently I was reading author Gwendolen Gross' blog about writing and came across an assigment she suggested to fellow writers. She suggested making a list of things I never want to write about and things I need to write about.

So I said:

The assignment is too easy.
I never procrastinate making lists.
In fact, my love affair with lists alone is the reason why my fridge is never fully stocked, my IKEA shopping not completed, my light fixtures are still not hung, my laundry is sitting next to my bed (over which I have to leap every morning) and the birthday cards I bought in January are neatly tucked away in a closet along with the pretty journals and the overflown photo boxes. Making lists relaxes me and once relaxed, I no longer worry about finishing what I've started. Or start anything for that matter. It's been over a month since I stopped writing at midlifecrisisat33.blogspot.com (since I turned 34 on September 11) and I'm thinking my next blog might just be on lists.

Aha, so that's why I'm having a hard time posting. After all, the new blog is not at all about lists. In fact, I think it's more about freeing me from my lists than anything else.

Nevertheless, this blog post is every bit the procrastination tool as the tea I'm about to make and the cigarette I'm about to smoke. (GASP!) Toxic Parents shall wait...

No comments:

Post a Comment